The Blogger Herself

The Blogger Herself

Monday, March 05, 2018

The Christmas Card in February. In loving Memory, of Susan Morris

It has been less than a month since Susan Morris was unexpectedly at least by us, ushered into the presence of Jesus.  Susan and I have had overlapping shifts in Choices for the past 6 years.  I had no idea on February 8th I would be so profoundly impacted by a phone call from a mutual friend of ours, who taught with Susan before she retired.    The friend called to tell me Susan and her husband were killed in a wreck.  "What?"  It did not connect.  I know a few people by the name of Susan.  My mind began to swirl, not the Susan I had just seen two weeks earlier who was supposed to be on vacation with husband.  The same Susan who laughed and joked with me.  Susan who often told me how proud my mom would be of me?  Susan who provided such a motherly wisdom, as I struggled with life without my own mom?  Susan made everyone feel important from the tiniest child to the most disrespectful person in the room.  Susan prayed like no one I had ever known.  She loved Jesus, and though she was always on the move going from one place of service to the next, she was never too busy to encourage someone.  The times we talked on the phone about work, the Lord or family, Susan was just getting geared up in the first 30 minutes.  If you asked her what she thought she would tell you but in the kindest most straightforward way.  Susan could have said a lot, but she knew when it was best to say nothing.  She was passionate about everything, and almost never flippant about anything.  She had a heart for grieving people.  She would be editing this post if she were here.

Why am I writing about Susan, because her legacy is still impacting me from beyond the grave!  On February 13th I went to her visitation and gave my sympathy.  After coming home, I thought God, please help me this seems so wrong for her son to be forced to live without his parents he is a couple of years younger than me.  I began to open my Bible and found a Christmas card unopened, I don't remember ever reading it.I vaguely recall her asking my about a card, but I'm bad to put things down somewhere and forgetting where I put it.  I have no idea how it ended up in the Bible.  I often read the Bible on my ipad or computer so I can Journal what I read, but that night I was studying the lesson for storytelling Sunday, and always read it in the Bible in hand too for some reason or on my lap.  As I opened the card, the outside said Jesus.  Inside the Christmas card said TJ, I am so proud of how you've served and grown in the Lord this year, it has been such a joy to watch.  Love, Susan.  Susan supported and encouraged me as I wrestled with going to a different church.  I know finding that Christmas card that very night was no accident, and if I can make even a fraction of the difference in so many lives as Susan Morris still is, it would be far more than I'd ever hope for!  I look forward to telling her this one day.  Is there someone who is impacting your life right now?  In honor and memory of my friend Susan Morris who is serving and celebrating Jesus right now, will you call or write someone who has positively inspired you, and say thank you?  Yes, I know life is busy, but you'll never regret a sunset you refuse to miss!  In Susan's honor, I've been writing thank you notes since last week!



"The word of the Lord is tried;
He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him." Ps. 18:30

No comments: