The Blogger Herself

The Blogger Herself

Friday, January 15, 2016

Celebrate the Gift!

Imagine my surprise when someone who features quality blog content on their website decides to feature my blog.  I thought It was a joke or scam.   I haven't traveled the world, and I'm not the funniest gal on the block.  Though I do have a sense humor all my own that I like to think comes from my mom.  If anything these last few weeks bluntly revealed  a confidence crisis for reasons that need not be shared here.  I began doubting my ability to do much of anything right.  Between an annoying mild case of shingles, Steady changes at a volunteer job I love, and a dog who despite the vet's objections though reasonable,,I'm still convinced needs anxiety medication.  Oh and adjusting to a new chair, and examining many of the life choices I have made, and trying to improve.  I've stated before how I have a difficult time with seasons of change.  When mom passed in April I honestly do believe I coped well with saying not goodbye but see you later.  In last two months, it has registered to my heart and mind.I have to live the rest of my days on earth without her involvement and help.  Yes, I did that very thing once she was too sick, but in those months all I expected was to survive by the grace of God, and I did. Now the expectation is that I will thrive and live, and until now I have never imagined my life without hers too.   I've been an adult, but never one without her input and support,     There is a fine line whoever between sincere improvement directed by the Holy Spirit, and just plan apologizing for who God created you to be, and over the last couple of months it has developed into the second category for me . As Christians sometimes I think we get caught up in this thinking that it is somehow God's desire for us to see how truly bad we are, and only then can we see the value of God's goodness.  If you don't relate, don't stay on this statement.    I realize there has to be a balance.  Prideful and arrogant thinking are not pleasing to God, but neither is shaping yourself to match who you and others say you should be  This has been difficult in the area of grief, because everyone including myself envisions there own view of what grief should or should not be.     Back to the first sentence I wrote I was shocked and exited to learn someone who does not know me decided my writing is valuable to others.  I also take it far too personally when people have some type of content criticism of what I write. I don't mind grammatical and structural correction, but content is hard.   Thoughts of trying to make my writing what others want to read isn't a bad thing, but if that is my focus, not only is my motive wrong, I am missing the opportunity to be who God designed and created me to be.   New Year  resolutions aren't appealing to me, but there is one desire I have going forward and that is to focus on valuing the gifts and blessings God gives me. If I do this, It will also motivate me to minster to others who need to know that even if one person's life is blessed by theirs, then  life has purpose and even more they may come to know how deeply they are loved by The Creator Himself!  When we are living out our purpose we are fulfilled. When we are fulfilled by the One  who gives us purpose and value, then our focus becomes not on  finding our value, but in serving and giving to others.  As many around the country this weekend proclaim that Life is a gift, and each person has worth, I wonder what the world would like if we strive to take three actions. Do something along with me. Take a moment not to focus on your flaws, but to celebrate your gifts.  If you are like me, you'll find it much easier to calculate your missteps, than to celebrate your strengths and your progress. Second, Tell someone they matter, and in some small way SHOW them. It might be a card, a compliment, a prayer, a hug, or a creative gesture.     Third, Thank the people who celebrate and encourage you.  Thank God privately for using others to encourage you. Name some of those people as you give thanks for them.  Ready, yeah I'm going to do it with you.  When we are done let's start over tomorrow. 

No comments: