The Blogger Herself

The Blogger Herself

Sunday, May 17, 2020

A promise Kept!

Do you remember the first time someone promised you to be there and they weren't?  Maybe a friend broke your trust or a parent who missed that soccer game?  The fishing trip or the birthday party you spent months talking about, or that wedding that was planned, but didn't happen, because the person who promised to be by your side for the rest of your life, somehow could not even be there for an hour to declare their love for you.    Worse maybe you carry the weight of a promise you made and broke. 
I have been both the person who was hurt by promises not kept and the person who has broken a promise.  In fact, more than once I have tasted the bitter reality of a promise unfulfilled.  Sometimes I have been the person who has inflicted pain on others and myself because I  made a promise. I didn't keep or I believed a promise that wasn't kept.  Do you need something sure in a world of uncertainty?  I bet you do, and so do I, but is anything true anymore?  Will we see our sunsets again figuratively speaking?  Well,, that will depend on where we look for hope.  Whose promises will you and I  choose to believe?  The politicians, The government? Our churches?  Our educators? Our families?  Our finances, our country?  After nine weeks in the house, only seeing a handful of people, I have a lot of time to reflect, and even for a person like me, who recharges best having a lot of alone time, nine weeks is a bit extreme.     All things I listed, are not bad, but if these are where we find security, we will always be disillusioned, cynical, and yes like I was as a nine-year girl, through blurred tears, as I learned sometimes people make promises they can't keep, even though their intentions were good...   I found the ultimate trustworthy Promise Keeper!  He is trustworthy and True!  He keeps his promises, and not a one has failed me.  If I haven't seen it coming to fulfillment yet, based upon his track record, I can trust Him!  So when you and I are tempted to find security in our position, our bank account, our government aid, our knowledge. our status, our health,  our mentors, ourselves, then we are looking for hope in false promises. So many times I still trade the unfailing promises of God in for temporary false promises.  Don't miss your Sunsets in this time of personal and global chaos, instead, I hope we will look to Jesus who is always the Keeper of His promises!
Hebrews 6:18-19
 God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope set before us may be greatly encouraged. 19 We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm, and secure. 

No comments: