The Blogger Herself

The Blogger Herself

Sunday, September 12, 2010

invisible Illness Week Don't miss this post please

Hi Blogger:

   You will see a sticky note on the far side of my blog that will let you know that tomorrow begins invisible illness week.  Over the last few years,  God has placed many people/friends i n my life who are dealing with Chronic illnesses or chronic pain.  Let me be clear here, I don't have an invisible illness.  I would even go so far as to say that I don't consider myself as having a visible illness either.  Maybe this is because of the conflicting messages I've gotten from society over the years.  So you may ask, why am I supporting this effort?  The answer is simple her name is Sandra Rose, no she probably does not even know there is such a thing as invisible illness week, I also have other friends like Brittany and Julie who also live daily with Chronic Illness.  These are three of the most Godly women I know.  So what is an invisible illness, Invisible doesn't mean non-existing, in fact, anyone living with pain day and night knows all too well just how real invisible illness is.  My friend Sandra has to use a Tens unit regularly just in attempt to get some relief, and be able to function from constant nerve pain, and yet outwardly some days you likely would not "see" it, but if you listen, you'll hear it.  You'll hear it as she gasps for breath, because the pain is so strong her lips cannot form words.  You will hear at times, in the physical weariness of her voice.  She has tried ever treament under the sun for 9 years.  While you may not see it in the form of crutches, you will see it in the form of a tear now and then, but you know what you will see even more clearly even in her pain, you will see her strength, her faith, and her compassion.  A chronic illness invisible or other wise is any contdition that has impact on your life, and in most cases, will either remain the same or worsen.  Maybe diabetes or cancer, in the case of cancer it often falls under terminal which most chronic It maybe depression, it is any condtion where the signs may not be phyiscally seen illnesses are Chron's Fibromagilya etc.and thounsands of others.  I do have one of the illness I mentioned, now that I think of it, but lets put that aside for now.  Lisa Copen is the founder of http://www.restminstries.com/ and http://www.invisibleillness.com/ It is a christian ministry that supports people worldwide with Chronic condtions and chronic illnesses please go to both sites to find out more or get support for you or a family member or friend.  Now don't hear me saying I'm not involved in this ministry, because I am/  I'm going to fill out the survey, because whether CP is an illness condition, or other and visible or invisible, I have dealt with chronic pain in years past and I can relate in both seen and unseen ways.  What connects people is not what category they fall into, but the fact that others can share in their life journey, and as Christians there is always common ground and unity in Christ!  Because I myself in my case, am uncomfortable with the word illness. I will use condition.
The condition I live with the is  Cerebral Palsy(CP Urinary issues, depression, anxiety/
2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: Soon after I was born.  I will only address CP here, not the others/

3. But I had symptoms since: 1983
4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: adulthood with CP/
5. Most people assume: I like the attention, but I'd trade it in a minute

6. The hardest part about mornings are: bathing

7. My favorite medical TV show is: None

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: my My Bed, lift, Van and Chair

9. The hardest part about nights are: Not being able to work late at night, even those it is my best time for creative writing.

10. Regularly I take 3__ pills & vitamins. (No comments, please):

11. Regarding alternative treatments I am very conflicted about cures.

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: Physical over emotional but visible and invisible I believe would be just as hard

13. Regarding working and career: Again my situation conflicts me @ times.

14. People would be surprised to know: My emotional struggles far outweigh my physical ones
15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: letting go of denial

16. Something I never thought I could do with my condition that I did was: serve pregnant women

17. The commercials about my condition make me uneasy

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: I've always CP, but I miss having my own family

19. It was really hard to have to give up: the idea of what I thought my life would be.

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: blogging

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal  I would: walk the beach, and play with the dog
22. My condition  has taught me: God can use anyone, and that everyone wants to be loved

23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: that I'm not special I'm just like everyone else.

24. But I love it when people: say “God has a plan for you.

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: “ God will fulfill his plans for me!

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell their family there is hope in all situations with Christ!

27. Something that has surprised me about living with this is: adulthood is way harder than childhood was

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: Listened to me
29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: I want to open people's eyes, and comfort hurting people.

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: proud and hopeful/ Thank you for your support!
    Now

2 comments:

Beth Herring said...

love this TJ. you bless me.

Audra said...

Hey, TJ! I just found your blog via Molly's! It's Audra Payne. :) Thanks so much for your survey. Even though I don't know you very well, I know that you are an amazing woman! I wish we could see each other more often . . . maybe one of these days, I'll be able to be at the center more often. I hope!